Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Observation 2

Day 2 of my observation binge began with heeding the advice given in class earlier this morning to observe Venus around 6:30 tonight. After setting up my telescope since 5:30 (it is quite a burden, the telescope is very outdated and difficult to calibrate), I tried to observe Venus from 6:30 onwards- only to be disappointed to find that Venus was located in the 35-40 degrees of declination in my yard covered by trees (the 60 degrees alluded to in yesterday's report was an exaggeration, though the trees are quite dastardly obstacles to observing the horizon line). For the next hour, I calibrated the telescope to view, if I'm not mistaken, the Pleiades star cluster. That cluster has caught my eyes and I've spent an hour before looking at its majesty through binoculars with my sister. I find the Pleiades spectacular for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment