Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Observation 3

On day 3 of my observation binge, I was greatly aided by the notice of the Iridium Flare sent through the class text. I didn't feel like setting up the telescope tonight, so I simply used my binoculars. It probably wouldn't have helped to see the Iridium Flare anyways. Although, without my telescope's GPS system, it took me about a half an hour to find the right coordinates. I spent some time just looking at the stars, noting the fact that I'm going to have to educate myself on the new winter sky, before the flare came. I spent another hour looking up at the Pleiades and the northern constellations- the binary star in Vega is a treat to the eyes in binoculars. Campy as it is, I actually have been writing poetry about the stars, for which I have only this class to thank the inspiration for.
In the skies that rest so gently on high
The stars, they shine with brilliance aglow
Against the black heavens of the dark night;
They’ve moved me to wonder since long ago

Oh, stars, must I vacate your heavenly glow?

For seasons turn, as does the diamond sky
And take with them the stars of their abode
As months and years, they pass, so fleeting, by,
And in so, leave my only wish to know

Oh, stars, why now must you depart me so?

I’ll miss the gleams of winter in the spring,
The beams of light as summer turns to fall
And though new skies arrive with Earth’s great swing,
Those I’ve come to love flee from all below,
Abdicate their glorious shine and glow...

Oh, stars, I yearn for your returning show!

No comments:

Post a Comment